Sunday, March 4, 2018

Stepping Up

I came to an epiphany yesterday - I am way healthier than when I started doing 10,000 steps a day last July. From April until then I had been doing 10,000 steps a couple of times a week, not every single day - it makes a big difference when you do it consistently.  Other than a couple of days when I was sick, traveling or otherwise occupied with family like at Christmas I have done 10,000 every single day.   That 10,000 steps is coming too easy these days so it is now time to step up my game.  I believe my metabolism changed and I need to increase the steps.  My new goal is 11,000 steps a day, realizing that some days it is difficult to do so the actual goal is 77,000 a week with 10,000 per day absolute minimum. Since January 1 I have only done 11,000 or over 13 days so it means on average I have to walk/spend on the treadmill an extra 5-10 minutes.  Totally achievable.  I am also going to try some situps each day as still have a very squidgy middle.  I reviewed last year's steps per week for the first three months of the year - stunned to see most weeks I was lucky to get to 30,000/40,000 steps so as with any goal this actually takes some work.

In other news I have been super busy booking travel this week.  We got a rather strange call from a cousin of hubby's early in the week when he was outside with the dog and I was off with a friend - no message left but instantly he thought that perhaps another of his elderly Aunts had passed away like the one a couple of weeks ago.  Instead we got another phone call the next day inviting us to an 80th Birthday party only 3 weeks away in Edmonton.  We talked it over and since we were unable to attend his other Aunt's funeral (both his late Dad's sisters) we were going to try and make it happen.  I checked airline points.  Due to the last minute nature of the trip they wanted double the miles required - not worth it.  I checked buying the flights and guess what - seat sale!  We didn't have enough hotel points for straight out nights but hubby had some Hilton points so only $40 is required for one night there and I had some expedia points (5 years worth) and paid $26 for another good airport hotel so a total of $66 for two nights in 3-4 star hotels.  Yes, they are at the airport but based on where we have to travel to see my Mother-in-law in a care facility and where the birthday party and our family is that was not an issue.  $80 for a car rental and we were done - all booked.  His cousin was surprised and extremely happy to hear we were coming and we will combine this trip into a couple of things.  1.  We will have supper with the 2 boys coming with us to Italy and go over everything with regard to the trip  2.  We will visit my Mother-in-law who has alzheimers and is in a care facilty  3.  We will get to see numerous relatives that we would have seen at the funeral a few weeks ago as it is the same side of the family  4.  We will see Stepdaughter's new apt with her boyfriend (same one on again off again for the last 6 years) as they officially signed a lease together March 1.  I also arranged Buddy sitting for that weekend.  Yes, we do spend a large portion of our income on travel but we live very frugally the rest of the time and I think it is worth it, especially at this point in our lives when we are both healthy and fit.  We haven't seen some of these relatives since a family funeral about five and a half years ago before we moved away from Alberta so will be so nice to reconnect - a birthday party is always nicer to attend than a funeral any day.

With regard to our big Europe trip I managed to buy tickets to the Eiffel Tower summit as they finally went on sale(prebooked summit tickets sell out) and also our high speed train tickets from Rome to Salerno.  There were slower trains at a cheaper price but we wanted the boys to experience the high speed train as that was something we both really enjoyed on our Spain trip.  The cost difference was not huge so we splurged.  Still working on Papal audience tickets but getting them in advance is not looking good.  The American Bishop will not help anyone who resides outside the USA even if they are American obtain tickets.  I have tried faxing the Vatican from a local business shop that we use regularly but can't tie their machine up - tried 4x yesterday, will try again this week but after that I am going to consider trying for tickets the Monday before the Wednesday audience - the Swiss guards hand out unreserved tickets between 2-3 days in advance in the evenings before so since we are staying near the Vatican this might be our best option.  FYI the Pope insists anyone who wants to attend may do so, with or without tickets.  Without a ticket though you must stand for around 3 hours - which I can't do as easily faint - so I can't see us going without tickets.  Those with tickets get chairs as long as they come early enough. For now I will book our other tours around the Wednesday mass on the off-chance we actually get to go. On one site people indicated that there were no seats available even if you went 3 hours ahead.  Has anyone reading this blog actually gotten to a Papal Audience?  Please comment your experience.

I took hubby to airport this morning at 4 am for his 530 am flight to Toronto....and tried to go back to sleep but not much luck there.  I purposefully planned not much for today knowing that that would likely happen.  Tomorrow I have to clean Mom's carpets in the condo and then we have to go shopping for a new ceiling fan as her last one seems to have a short.  There is no AC there so a ceiling fan is important once summer rolls around.

We are experiencing lovely sunny days here with the nights dropping just below zero with frosty mornings.  Buddy shall get a nice very long walk today.  Have a great Sunday people!

22 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the steps and feeling healthier. I'm feeling much better for increasing my walking and I like the little reminder my fitbit gives me each hour if I haven't moved.
    My mother in law went a few years ago but her local priest organised it for her. Can you buy tickets online? Perhaps check out viator or tripadvisor for recommendations. It would be a shame to miss out if you are unable to get the tickets the night before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tickets are free. The viator tickets are tour operators who get the tickets for free and then sell the "experience" that I don't want to pay for. We likely will wait and see if we can get them there if faxes can't get thru

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're going to that party. It sounds like you're going to get loads done at the same time and it's not too much of a financial strain.
    Well done on the walking. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have extra money in the travel fund for "just in case" of a funeral or something nicer like me winning a prize (they always make you pay taxes). Italy and France are all saved for so we were able to make a fast decision :)

      Delete
  3. It's good to be able to see progress with your exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, now the 10,000 steps is so natural each day, much easier that it was in the first two months!

      Delete
  4. So much good travel on the horizon! And congratulations on the healthy living. It's nice when you can actually feel the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the inital 10 lbs I lost and kept off my legs and butt are fitter but I know I can push myself a little bit more, strange for someone who has never really been that fit

      Delete
  5. Your trips sound fab I totally agree about the travel we save in a travel fund for our trips and apart from buying mostly organic produce we are pretty frugal the rest of the year we rarely eat out and don’t buy too many clothes as we both have enough stuff lol. Hope you get your Vatican tickets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people need spa days and expensive meals out, I certainly don't. I seem to get as much retail therapy out of spending $3 at a thrift store (past weekends finds) than someone who buys $200 boots lol

      Delete
  6. Great job on increasing the steps. I didn't quite make 70K this past week as I had a 2k day last Wed. I just could not make up the difference. Oh well, at least I am trying.

    Good news on the Europe travel front. I like how you organizing the YEG trip and are able to see everyone. ?? Westjet seat sale I assume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Westjet sale, they had a birthday sale and I got my family in Denver in on it who are coming to visit us in July as well(they just started flying to Denver)

      Delete
  7. Your week looks indeed super busy with arrangements for a birthday, family meetings, travel abroad. I guess you'll someday want to visit Ukraine, where your husband comes from.

    Glad you feel walking helps you be healthy. Walking is second nature to me, so I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to get to the Ukraine in the next five years. Any relatives still there would be second or third cousins and I am not sure we can find them as most of the family moved to Canada for a better life. Walking is so much easier for me, I am not a runner, could never do that with my arthritis

      Delete
  8. Pay for the free tickets and get the experience. It would be a shame to miss something that important to you. I would not bother going, but you really want it and so do your children. Pay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well see, this whole trip is very costly so not sure about that

      Delete
  9. How long in total does it take to walk your new goal of 11,000 steps? I walk pretty much every day but don't count my steps. I don't usually walk on the days I play 2 hours of volleyball 3x a week. You are doing great!! Squidgy middle here too, very hard to get rid of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was only doing treadmill 100 minutes of straight walking. Yesterday I cleaned Mom's carpets (3 rooms), walked on the treadmill 45 minutes, went to the grocery store and then just normal walking around and I ended up doing just over 13,000. I try and do 5000 before lunchtime as my energy goes downhill after that or 9500 before suppertime otherwise I have to get on the treadmill after supper and hate that. supposedly around 5 miles is about 10,500 steps depending on your stride. I am pretty sure you get your 10,000 regularly based on how busy and active you are. There are apps on the phone where you can keep track too, although those may not be quite as accurate could give you a bit of a picture. The one I have now is the Fitbit Alta HR which also keeps track of heartrate which is how I know how many calories I burn (around 2000-2300 a day)

      Delete
    2. The other thing is natural steps ie walking the dog is sooooo much bloody easier than treadmill steps, I try and watch Netflix on the treadmill though

      Delete
  10. Gosh you must have read my mind. I have just today started another blog (which is private for the moment as I am still ruminating) but I counted yesterday as Day 1 for my 100 healthy days, which includes trying to get 10,000 steps in per day. If it's fine I'm ok with that but when it pours down it's hard as I like to go at lunchtime. I did look into a treadmill too this weekend but pretty expensive and I don't really want something else clogging up my living room (I already have my sewing machine and table there). I will see how the "100 days" business is going in a few weeks and maybe rethink. And of course you know I'm in total agreement re the travel. Ha, $300 for a handbag. Some joke. I bought mine for 10 euros in Turin market, but I guess we all have different priorities don't we. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get all my purses at thrift stores lol so know exactly what you mean. Hubby bought the treadmill 5 years ago, I didn't step on it until last year lol but he has always used it pretty regularly. Now I hog it all the time when the weather is not nice out.

      Delete
  11. Wayne is using his phone now to measure his walking distance. He's trying to get ready to hike on the Sunshine Coast Trail this summer. I did some travel planning for May. I'll be heading over to Courtenay for a memoir writer's workshop with author Yvonne Maximumchuk from Echo Bay. No way to find a deal of BC Ferries travel though. - Margy

    ReplyDelete